Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Gyros at Home

Pita giros.JPG

Here is a picture from Wikipedia that shows a tradition gyro from Greece. It says they are sandwiches with meat, onions, tomato, french fries, and Tzatziki sauce rolled into a pita.



Jeff loves going to the Flame and Skewer in Ames for a good gyro. He encouraged me to try it out at home...SO we found gyro meat at Fareway. I bought one pound of Gyro meat and dry-fried it (no oil). It smelled awesome!! When I cooked it created lots of grease and was a bit messy.


 Here is what the Gyro meat looked like after cooking it.


Once the gyro meat was cooked I cleaned out the pan. I rubbed olive oil on the pita flat bread and then warmed both sides on medium heat.  I tried whole pitas and pita pockets. We definitely preferred the whole pita flat breads.


At Fareway you can also get Tzatziki Sauce. It is a refreshing cucumber sauce with hints of dill and lemon. I spread sauce on the bottom, added the gyro meat, tomatoes, onions, and lettuce. The recipe also called for a little sea salt on top.


We loved the Gyros!! We had french fries as a side and it was delightful!!! It was a quick and tasty dinner!!

No comments:

Post a Comment