Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Easy Calzones

I am a sucker for anything pizza-like. Jeff, however, isn't a big fan of homemade pizza. He doesn't like it when it is too doughy. So I got to thinking...what if I tried calzones???

Of course I went to one of the best cooks out there (in my opinion)....The Pioneer Woman!!!

 

 Her recipe calls for you to use Rhodes Frozen Rolls. I set them out all day on a cookie sheet in the fridge. Then I pulled them out after work to rise a bit more. 

I didn't have a rolling pin so I used a PAM can to make them nice and flat. (Nice huh?) :) 

 

 

The filling for the calzone starts with onion cooked in butter. You can use Italian sausage for the filling.  I used breakfast sausage (as the Pioneer woman suggests) and added Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Next I let the sausage cool before mixing it with Ricotta, Parmesan, Mozzarella, Eggs, Salt, and Pepper. 

 

 

I rolled out each dinner roll and added a spoonful of the sausage/cheese mixture. 

 

 

Then I folded the top over and pinched the edge. It looked smaller than I thought. These are definitely more the size of a pizza pocket. I think they would be awesome for kiddos!!

 

 

I brushed them with egg and baked them at 400 degrees for 13 minutes. I served them with marinara sauce from the store!! 

 

 

Here is my "not so perfect" version of a Pioneer Woman recipe!! Even though they don't look like hers they tasted great! Jeff even liked them!! Not too doughy!!!

 

Click below for her recipe to get exact measurements!  Thank you Pioneer Woman!!!

Easy Calzones Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment